I am submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #11: Mid-Autumn Treats (September 2011) hosted by Happy Home Baking.
Source : Y3K 爱.月饼 ‘Mooncakes’ by Alan Ooi
Winter Plum Blossom Flower
Ingredients for water skin (A)
210g plain flour
20g icing sugar
Ingredients for oil skin (B)
200g plain flour
800g chestnut paste ( I use white lotus paste )
For glazing : 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
1. Divide fillings into 50g portions, shape round, set aside.
2. Combine flour, icing sugar and shortening of ingredient (A). Add in water and knead into a soft dough. Roll it to a long strip, cut into 16 parts.
3. Combine ingredient (B) together. Roll into a long strip, cut into 16 parts.
4. Flatten no. (2) and wrap in no. (3). Shape round and roll up like a swiss roll. Do the same with remaining pieces. Repeat the process of flattening and rolling up once again. Pull apart and wrap in no. (1). Shape round, flatten and cut into a winter plum blossom shape. Make a depression in the centre with your thumb.
5. Arrange no.(4) on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper. Bake in a preheated oven at 180C for 20-25 minutes. Cool well.