A rich, dense and moist marble cake which was once popular among bloggers. However, the highly raved cake didn’t seem to catch too much of hubby’s and kids’ attention. I have the whole cake to myself….of course NOT, I can never finish the cake by myself. As usual, this cake was shared with few others and they liked it.
Makes one 8″ tube pan
Chocolate Chips Sour Cream Marble Cake
Chocolate Paste :
3 tbsp Varlhona Cocoa Powder, 3 tbsp hot water.
Mix cocoa powder with hot water, stir to combine well to get a smooth chocolate paste.
Cake Batter :
250g unsalted butter ( I used salted butter )
300g caster sugar
4 medium eggs
2tsp vanilla extract
210g sour cream ( I replaced by adding 4tsp lemon juice with enough milk to make 210g )
420g plain flour
2tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt ( I omitted as I used salted butter )
½ cup chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees C
2. Grease a 20cm chiffon tube pan or 10” non-stick bundt pan.
3. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, pale in colour.
4. Blend in the eggs and then vanilla extract. Add in sour cream, continue to beat till combine. Scrap the bottom of the mixing bowl to make sure batter is well combined.
5. Sieve in the plain flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt (if using) and fold well.
6. Mix in chocolate chips into the batter and mix well.
7. Remove 1/3 of the batter and mix in the chocolate paste.
8. Spoon in big scoops of vanilla batter into the tube pan/bundt pan and alternating with some scoops of chocolate batter to create marble effect. Repeat till all the batter are used up.
9. Bake in preheated oven till golden brown for about 45-50 minutes ( I took an hour ) or until tester inserted in comes out clean. Cover the top with foil if your cake browns quickly.
10. Once baked, remove from the oven and let it cool on rack for 15 minutes before dislodging the cake from the tube pan to cool completely.