Kek Lapis or Kueh Lapis? Bebe said it’s Kek Lapis as how it’s being called when she visited Kek Lapis factory in Sarawak Kuching during her school trip. Okay, I agree with her that kueh lapis is steamed kueh and it can be quite misleading if I were to call this baked cake as kueh
Kek Lapis is known for its high proportion of egg yolks and butter, you can find recipes using 20-15-10 egg yolks and so I shortlisted to this slightly ‘healthier’ version that uses 15 egg yolks, 1-1/2 tbsp condensed milk and 450g butter.
Source : With slight modifications from Chunky Cooky using recipe adapted from [Baking Made Easy] by Agnes Chang
Makes one 9 x 9″ square
Indonesian Thousand Layer Cake – Kek Lapis
450g tinned butter
1 1/2 tbsp condensed milk
270g icing sugar, sifted
15 egg yolks
3/4 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp brandy
135g plain flour, mixed with 2 1/4 tsp mixed spices
5 egg whites
40-50g melted butter, for brushing onto cake layers
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees C ( top & bottom heat )
2. Beat (B) till thick and creamy ( hand-whisked )
3. Beat (A) till fluffy, add in beaten (B) from step 2 and mix well. Slowly mix in (C).
4. Whisk (D) till stiff.
5. Fold in (D) into step 3.
6. Greased and lined a 9″ square tin.
7. Heat up the empty tin in the preheated oven for 3 mins.
8. Weigh 130g batter and spread evenly onto the baking tin. Bake till golden brown.
9. Remove tin from oven, switch oven to grill mode with 220 degrees C (upper heat only).
10. Prick, press and brush with a little melted butter on the cake layer.
11. Weigh 100g batter and spread evenly onto the cake layer and bake till golden brown. Repeat step 10 and 11 till the last layer. ( * 5 mins ++ for each layer )
12. Switch to 180 degrees C ( upper and bottom heat) and bake the last layer till golden brown ( * 10-15 mins )
* may vary according to individual oven performance
13. Remove and leave to cool.
Notes from Chunky Cooky :
- While baking layer by layer, prick only when there are air bubbles rising up and press down with any flat-bottom glass. This is to ensure all layers are flat and nice.
- The purpose of brushing a little melted butter over baked layer is to keep the cake moist.