Extra egg whites? Friand uses egg whites, so this is a good choice to clear your excess stocks! My niece, Alicia bought me this recipe book “The Australian Women’s Weekly Easy Baking. This is a first gift from her and I hope more are coming….hahaha. The original version found in this recipe book is Hazelnut Espresso Friands and I modified to make them in chocolate flavour which I think DS & DD would prefer chocolate to espresso flavour. I do not have friand pan, so I use muffin pan. Please stand by the stove when melting butter, it burns easily and within a second the melted butter will end up in the rubbish bin. This happened to me, so I would like to caution you. These friands are a little too sweet for me, so the next time I bake, I will cut down the sugar to suit my taste (The amount of icing sugar given below is from the original recipe).
Recipe adapted and modified from ‘The Australian Women’s Weekly Easy Baking’
Ingredients (Makes 12 muffins) :
1tbsp cocoa powder
6 egg whites (about 36g each)
100g ground almond
240g icing sugar — (will try to cut down to 200g)
75g cake flour
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees C / 180 degrees C fan-forced.
2. Grease 12-hole oval friand pan or muffin pan.
3. Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat until sugar turns brown. Watch it closely as the melted butter may become over-burnt within a second. Cool butter mixture.
4. Using fork, whisk egg whites lightly until combined. Stir ground meal, icing sugar, flour, cocoa powder, and butter mixture until combined. (Note: there may be some dark residue from the melted butter, do not mix in, just discard)
5. Drop the mixture into pan holes, bake about 25 minutes. Stand friands in pan 5 minutes before turning, top side up, onto wire rack to cool.