These bars have a nice flavour, not too sweet and it tasted as good on the next day.
Recipe adapted from My Kitchen Snippets
3/4 cup of strawberry jam
1 cup of dried cranberry
Ingredients for crust:
1 ½ cups flour
½ cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon powder
¾ tsp salt
½ tsp baking soda ( baking soda is bicarbonate of soda)
1 cup of roll oats
1 cup chopped toasted walnuts (or toasted almond nibs)
1 stick/113 grm/1/2 cup melted butter
1 tsp vanilla
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degree F ( 175 degree). Line and greased an 8” x 8” square baking pan.
2. For the filling mix together the jam and the dried fruits. Set aside.
3. For the crust, mix together the flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt and baking soda. Stir in the oats and walnuts. Add the melted butter, egg and vanilla and stir until incorporated.
4. Using your clean fingers, lightly press half of the crust mixture onto the bottom of the prepared pan. Spread the filling over the crust leaving a 1/2-inch border around the edge of the pan. Cover the top with the remaining crust mixture and gently press to flatten it up.
5. Bake until light golden, about 30 to 35 minutes. Cool for 1 hour. Cut into bars and store in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days.