I will be submitting this entry to Aspiring Bakers #6: Say Cheese! (April 2011) hosted by Jean of Need More Noms.
Recipe adapted and modified from Yochana Cake Delight
For an 8-inch round cake:
1 small pack Malteser candies,crushed to bits with food processor (or use knife to chop to bits)
About 12 digestive biscuits,crushed to crumbs with food processor
1 block Philadelphia cream cheese,softened
1 tsp vanilla
25ml to 30ml Baileys
200ml whipping cream
1/2 cup caster sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 cup boiling water
1 and half tbsp gelatine powder
1 tbsp butter
50g dark chocolate
1. For base : mix crushed Maltesers, crumbs and butter together. Press and smooth evenly in an 8-inch springform pan. Place in a freezer while you get on with the filling.
2. In boiling water, sprinkle gelatine evenly, leave to “bloom” for 2 minutes ( I sprinkle the gelatine powder in cold water to let it bloom for 2 minutes before sitting the bowl of gelatine mixture in a pot on the stove). Stir to dissolve. In microwave,melt butter and chocolate in 30 sec bursts…stir to combine ( I use double-boil method to melt butter and chocolcate).
3. In your mixer or using a whisk, whip cream till stiff peaks form, chill. In a mixer (no need to wash after whipping cream) or food processor, cream the cheese and sugar on high speed till smooth, beat in lemon juice and vanilla.
4. Stir gelatine mixture,(while resting,some gelatine will settle to the bottom…) and beat in to combine.
5. Fold in whipped cream…remove tin from freezer.
6. Pour about 1/4 of batter into chocolate mixture,stir to mix….
7. Mix in Baileys with white batter.
8. Pour about half of white batter into tin, add half of chocolate batter, swirl to combine. Add other half of white batter, top with spoonfuls of remaining chocolate batter, swirling to marble patterns.
9. Chill overnight.
10.To serve,run a knife along the sides of the cake,unmould,and slice.