If you have been following my blog, you will notice that I like to use biscuit particularly digestive biscuit for the base. This is the simplest and fastest way to prepare a cake .
I have followed the recipe to the T, so I find that this is too sour for me, it has kinda biting taste. Next time if I try, I wanna adjust the amount of sugar according to the tartness of the lime.
Ingredients for Base
200g digestive biscuit
100g melted butter
Method : Place biscuits in a zip-lock bag, roll over with a rolling pin. Mix the biscuit crumbs with melted butter. Press it firmly on base and sides with the back of a spoon onto a 23cm (9”) loose-bottom tart pan. Refrigerate it for use later.
Ingredients for Fillings ( Recipe adapted and modified from squidoo )
8 ounces cream cheese, softened (use the whole packet of philadelphia cream cheese )
1/2 cup granulated sugar ( suggest to adjust according to the tartness of the lime )
1 large egg
2 teaspoons grated lime zest
1/2 cup key lime juice, freshly squeezed
1 teaspoon tapioca starch or cornstarch
1. In a mixing bowl using an electric mixer, beat softened cream cheese, sugar and egg until smooth.
2. Add lime juice, grated lime zest and tapioca starch and beat until smooth and creamy.
3. Spread mixture evenly over baked crust biscuit base.
4. Return to oven and bake at for 25 to 30 minutes or until set.
5. Cool on wire rack.
6. Chill in refrigerator for at least 1 hour before cutting into squares to serve.
7. If desired, decorate top of cheesecake with pieces of lime or halved small fresh strawberries or quartered maraschino cherries (red and green.)
( I decorated with blueberries, cherries and chocolate flakes. You can glaze the fruits with some jam to get the shinning effect. )
How do you prepare glaze : you can use apricot gel or any dark-coloured jam mixed with a little water and brush over the fruits.. Optional : add a few drops of kirsch into the jam mixture.