I baked this for my dear son who is celebrating his 15th Birthday today. I know that he likes chocolate cake and he is not in favour of cake made with cheese except for the oreo cheesecake I baked on his sister’s birthday last Friday. I am saying this because he has helped himself with another piece of oreo cheesecake the next morning.
Happy Birthday!! I am sure you will like this Chocolate Hazelnut Cake.
I am submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #7 – Chocolate Delight (May 2011) hosted by DG from Tested and Tasted.
Chocolate Chiffon Cake
(This recipe is adapted and modified from Yochana Cake Delight. The original recipe makes a plain 9” sponge cake which I have tweaked by adding cocoa powder to make chocolate cake and the amount given below has been adjusted to suit my cake pan. I’ve used a 6” round cake pan which I find that it is more suitable for a 7”. However, if you wish to keep to this amount, you may use the excess batter to make into cupcakes)
3 egg yolks
pinch of salt
½ tsp vanilla extract
90g cake flour
20g cocoa powder
1tsp baking powder
3 egg whites
½ tsp cream of tartar
1. Mix ingredient (A) and stir till smooth.
2. Whisk (B) till stiff, then fold in (A), pour into cake tin and bake at 170C for 45 mins or more until cooked. Remove from oven and cool completely on a cooling rack. Slice into 3 layers.
Chocolate Hazelnut Filling
(This Recipe is adapted and modified from Y3K Delicious Cakes by Amy Heng. I’ve re-wrote some of the steps for my future reference)
1 egg yolk
30ml boiling water
125g good quality dark bitter chocolate
125g hazelnut paste
350ml UHT whipping cream
1. Whip the whipping cream and keep the whipped cream for use later. ( For easy whipping, you may chill the bowl and balloon whisk in the fridge for 10 minutes before whipping).
2. Hand whisk egg yolk. Gradually add in boiling water and continue to stir until well combine.
3. Double boil chocolate until chocolate melts.
4. Mix in hazelnut paste.
5. Fold in the egg mixture and stir until slightly thickened.
6. Set aside to cool.
7. Once cooled, add into the whipped cream (from step 1) and mix until well combine.
(This recipe is adapted and modified from Y3K Delicious Cakes by Amy Heng)
75ml UHT whipping cream
180g cooking chocolate ( chopped )
½ tbsp butter
Double boil cream. Add in chocolate and butter and stir until smooth.
To assemble :
Place a layer of cake into a cake ring. Spread one portion of chocolate hazelnut filling on top of cake. Repeat process with 2nd layer and the last layer of cake. Chill until set before pouring chocolate ganache. Decorate as desired.