Use good quality butter and vanilla extract for this recipe in return for a heavenly butter cake.
This recipe is adapted and modified from Nasi Lemak Lover “Old Fashioned Butter Cake”.
*makes a 8” square cake pan
250g butter ( I use Lurpak )
5 egg yolks (large)
230g cake flour
1tsp double action baking powder ( replace by ¼ tsp baking soda + ½ tsp cream tartar + ¼ tsp cornstarch )
1/2tsp vanilla essence ( I use pure vanilla extract )
5 egg whites (large)
1. Place the butter, sugar and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat until light and creamy.
2. Add the egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the flour and baking powder and beat well to combine. Fold through the milk and combine well.
3. Beat egg whites in a clean large bowl until soft foam. Gradually add in sugar, and beat till soft peak.
4. Take one portion of the egg white mixture, and use a hand whisk to stir well with egg yolk mixture till combine and thick paste.
5. Slowly fold in the balance egg white with a spatula till well combine.
6. Spoon the batter in a cake pan which line the base with paper and lightly grease.
7. Bake at preheated oven at 180c for 55mins or until cooked when tested with a skewer.