Chocolate-Bottom Banana Squares is a very popular bake among the bloggers recently. So I decided to jump on the bandwagon to bake a Chocolate-Bottom cake. However, I decided to use walnuts instead of bananas. The recipe ‘Soft Walnut Chocolate Cake’ from Doris of Tested and Tasted shall be used to add to my baking portfolio.
I used a 6” round cake pan and a 7” x 1.5” round alumnimum foil disposable case for this recipe.
This recipe is adapted from Doris of Tested and Tasted ‘Soft Walnut Chocolate Cake’. The ingredient amount has been adjusted and tweaked. Click here for the original recipe from Doris.
Am submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #7 – Chocolate Delight (May 2011) hosted by DG from Tested and Tasted.
32ml cold water
150g caster sugar
200g cake flour
1tsp baking powder
1tsp vanilla extract
80g chopped walnuts
60g chocolate rice
1. Preheat oven at 170 degrees.
2. In a mixing bowl whisk ingredient (A) at top speed until the mixture turn thick and fluffy. Leave aside.
3. In another bowl, beat the butter and vanilla extract until light and creamy.
4. Mix the creamy butter and the egg mixture from step 2 together until well blended ( Mix at low speed ).
5. Take 1/3 of the batter to mix slowly with 1/3 portion of chopped walnuts and chocolate emulco. Pour this chocolate batter as the base into the prepared tin.
6. Add chocolate rice and the remaining chopped walnuts to the remaining white batter. Mix slowly. Pour the white batter on top of the chocolate batter and decorate with some chocolate rice.
7. Bake in preheated oven for 35-45 minutes or until well done.