It is a breeze to bake this cake, just need one bowl to mix all the ingredients till light and fluffy. If you like almond cake, this strong almond buttery cake is soft and nice.
This recipe is adapted and modified from Happy Home Baking ( Some steps have been rewritten for my own reference). Click here for HHB’s recipe.
110g unsalted butter, cut into small cubes and leave to soften
150g caster sugar ( I cut down to 120g)
3 large eggs, lightly beaten ( I didn’t beat the eggs as I am experimenting this recipe using one bowl method)
90g ground almonds
40g self raising flour ( substitute with 40g cake flour, ½ tsp baking powder and a pinch of salt )
1 tbsp milk
1 tsp pure vanilla extract ( optional )
1 tbsp flaked almonds for sprinkling ( I toast the flaked almond )
Some icing sugar for dusting ( I omitted )
1. Preheat oven at 180 deg C. Line the bottom and sides of a rectangle pan of size 9″ x 6″ with baking sheet, set aside. ( Alternatively, you may use 8” round pan as stated in HHB’s blog)
2. Place ingredients A in a mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and smoothen the top with a spatula.
3. Sprinkle the toasted flaked almonds over the top.
4. Bake at 180 deg C for 30-35 minutes, or until the skewer comes out clean when inserted into the center.
( I heeded HHB’s advice by covering the top with foil about 15-20 minutes into baking to prevent the top from over-browning)
5. Cool the cake on wire rack. Dust with icing sugar before serving ( I omitted this as I find the cake is sweet enough for me )