This is my first cooked dough (烫面) chiffon cake and I already fell in love with it. The texture is very soft and fine. This cooked dough method yields a super duper chiffon, I will continue to adopt this method in my upcoming chiffon bakes. This coconut chiffon is yummy! I will definitely bake this again and again.
Cooked Dough Coconut Chiffon Cake烫面椰香戚风蛋糕
Makes one 8” (21cm) tube pan
100g coconut milk
20g caster sugar
75g vegetable oil ( I used olive oil )
85g flour, sifted ( I used hong kong flour, sifted. You can use cake flour )
15g corn flour, sifted
4 egg yolks
4 egg whites
80g sugar ( I used 50g)
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
1. Heat up coconut milk in a saucepan till 80deg. Remove from stove.
( I do not have a thermometer, so I heat up until it feels hot to the touch )
2. Add in 20g sugar, oil, flour, corn flour into coconut mixture and mix well. Add in egg yolks and mix until well combine.
3. Whisk egg white at low speed until foamy, add in cream of tartar and whisk at medium speed. Add in sugar in 3 additions and whisk at medium-high speed until stiff peak forms.
4. Add 1/3 of the egg white mixture into egg yolk mixture and mix gently to combine. Then add the remaining egg white mixture and gently fold in until well combine.
5. Pour into a 21cm tube pan. Tap the tube pan on the table top a few times to reduce large bubbles and bake at 170C for about 45-50 minutes or until cooked.
6. Invert cake pan on the cooling rack immediately and remove the cake once cooled.
7. Slice and serve