I like the cake texture produced from cooked dough (烫面) method. Since I could not find 烫面pumpkin chiffon cake recipe on the internet, I decided to tweak from a recipe to make this cooked dough version.
Cooked Dough Pumpkin Chiffon Cake 烫面南瓜戚风蛋糕
5 egg yolks
80g cake flour, sifted
15g corn flour, sifted
35g coconut milk
60g vegetable oil
25g castor sugar
85g pumpkin, mashed
A pinch of salt
5 egg whites
¼ tsp cream of tartar
1. Preheat oven to 170C.
2. Heat up coconut milk and oil until it feels hot to the touch. Remove from heat.
3. Stir in sugar and salt until sugar is dissolved.
4. Add in both flour, egg yolks and mashed pumpkin. Stir until batter is smooth.
5. Whisk egg white at low speed until foamy, add in cream of tartar and whisk at medium speed. Add in sugar in 3 additions and whisk at medium-high speed until stiff peak forms.
6. Add 1/3 of the egg white mixture into egg yolk mixture and mix gently to combine. Then add the remaining egg white mixture and gently fold in until well combine.
7. Pour into a 21cm tube pan. Tap the tube pan on the table top a few times to reduce large bubbles and bake at 170C for about 45-50 minutes or until cooked.
8. Invert cake pan on the cooling rack immediately and remove the cake once cooled.
9. Slice and serve