BeBe requested me to bake a birthday cake for her classmate cum friend and we both decided on cupcake. When she came to know that I will settle on chocolate cake, the first thing she told me is ‘No Bananas’. This indeed helps me in narrowing down the search for recipe. I adopted a recipe from Rose Levy Beranbaum which has been higly recommended by Jean of Noms I Must. This fine texture, and not so overly rich yet chocolatey chocolate cake is an ideal cake for me. Awesome!
These cupcakes were specially decorated by BeBe for her friend, Natasha (Nut) on her 13th Birthday today. Happy Birthday to You!
Chocolate Butter Cupcake
Source : Rose Levy Beranbaum’s Rose’s Heavenly Cakes via Jean of Noms I Must
Makes 12 cupcakes
42g unsweetened alkalized cocoa powder (I use Valrhona)
118g boiling water
2 large eggs, room temperature
3 tbsp water
1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
166g cake flour
200g caster sugar ( I used 190g )
2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
170g unsalted butter, room temperature
Some Chocolate Chips ( not included in original recipe )
1. Preheat oven to 175°C and line muffin pan with paper liners.
2. Whisk cocoa powder and boiling water until smooth. Cover with plastic wrap to prevent evaporation and cool to room temperature
3. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, 3 tbsp water and vanilla until lightly combined.
4. In a bowl of stand fitted with a flat beater, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt on low speed for 30 seconds.
5. Add butter and chocolate mixture and mix on low speed until the dry ingredients are moistened.
6. Raise speed to medium and beat for 1 1/2 mins. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
7. Starting on medium-low speed, gradually add the egg mixture in 2 parts, beating on medium speed for 30 secs after each addition to incorporate the ingredients and strengthen the structure.
8. Use a no. 30 ice cream scoop or spoon to place the batter (50g) onto the prepared cupcake liners, abt 3/4 full. ( I sprinkle some chocolate chips on top )
( I did not weigh, just pour to fill up the cases to about 3 /4 full )
9. Bake for 20 to 25 mins or until a wire cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean and cupcakes spring back when pressed lightly in the center.
10. Let cupcakes cool in pans on a wire rack for 10mins. Remove from pans and set them on a wire rack to cool completely.