I am submitting this to Aspiring Bakers #10: Easy as Pie (August 2011), hosted by Janine of Not the Kitchen Sink.
Source : Sonia of Nasi Lemak Lover
Makes 16 tarts using disposable aluminium cases as shown in the picture
Butter Cake Tart
250g all purpose flour ( I used cake flour )
150g unsalted butter ( cut into small pieces )
65g icing sugar ( Sonia used 65g caster sugar, I used 55g caster sugar)
50g egg (1-2 eggs)
1. Combine flour, salt and sugar in a mixing bowl.
2. Cut butter into small pieces, add into flour mixture, rub the mixture by hand till reaches sandy texture.
( I used a wooden spatula to cut the cold butter into the flour until it resembles bread crumbs )
3. Add eggs and lightly combine to form dough, do not over work.
4. Cover dough with cling film and keep in the fridge for 1 hour.
Butter Cake Filling
100g butter ( I used unsalted butter )
2 eggs, medium
200g self raising flour ( I used 200g cake flour + 2tsp baking powder + ¼ tsp salt )
1/2tsp vanilla extract
1. Cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy.
2. Add egg one at a time, add in vanilla extract and combine well.
3. Fold in flour and milk, combine well.
To Make Butter Cake Tart
1. Take out pastry dough from the fridge, cut into small pieces and mould into tart mould.
( Each dough weighs about 30g to get 16 square tarts shown in the picture )
2. Fill in the butter cake batter into tart about 90% full.
( I split the batter evenly to 16 portions, managed to fill up about 75% full )
3. Sprinkle (almond slices, melon seeds or raisin) on top of the tart.
4. Bake at pre-heated oven at 180c for 20-25 mins.