Baking bread can seem like a daunting task, kneading and proofing need time and patience. However, using the right ingredients to yield a good bread is definitely rewarding. This is one recipe I would repeat. The bread is soft. I shall leave you to see the pictures to be convinced.
Butter Kaya Loaf
Sausage Cheese Buns
My girl gave a thumbs-up for the bread
Source : Amelia’s De-ssert ( with slight modification on steps. Do hop over to her blog to see her version as well as her steps using bread maker )
This recipe yields about 1.1kg dough. I made one loaf and 16 mini buns.
Sweet Potato Bread
260ml sweet potato water
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 egg – lightly beaten ( Reserve some for egg wash )
120g mashed sweet potato
600g bread flour ( Sieve )
1 1/2 tbsp milk powder
4 tsp instant yeast
1. Wash and peel sweet potato skin.
2. Cut cube and boil with water until soft.
3. Keep the sweet potato water aside to cool completely.
4. Mash the sweet potato and leave it to cool completely.
( Both of my sweet potato water and mashed sweet potato were still warm when used )
5. Sieve the flour, add milk powder, sugar, yeast, salt and mix well.
( I used mixer for this step : Place the mentioned ingredients in a mixer and mix on speed 2 of KA mixer for few minutes. )
6. Add the egg and mashed sweet potato into the mixer. Gradually add in sweet potato water ( keep about 50ml for hand kneading in step 7 ). Mix until the dough comes together and leave the dough hook and sides of the mixing bowl.
7. Remove the dough from mixer and place it on the table. Knead by hand. Add the remaining sweet potato water gradually and continue kneading until the dough is smooth.
8. Add butter into the smooth dough and knead for another 10-15 minutes until the dough is stretchable to a paper-thin translucent window pane.
9. Shape the dough into a ball. Place it in a lightly greased mixing bowl, sprinkle with water, cover with cling wrap and proof for about 1 hour, or until double in size.
10. Remove the dough from the bowl and give a light punch to press out the air. Rest the dough for 5 mins.
11. Divide the dough accordingly and shape to your preference.
12. After shaping, proof for 45 minutes.
13. Brush with egg wash and bake at 180C for 25-30 minutes or until cooked.
14. Remove from tin immediately after baking and cool on wire rack.
For shaping of Butter Kaya Loaf ( loaf tin size : 19.5cm x 12cm x 11.5cm high )
a. Use about 550g dough : divide the dough into 3 portions, each weighing about 184g.
b. Roll out the 3 doughs individually ( the shape of the dough should be just slightly bigger than your tin size ). On 1st layer, spread kaya. On 2nd layer, spread butter and place this buttered surface on the kaya surface of 1st layer, and then spread kaya on top. On the 3rd layer ( this is last layer ), just spread with butter and place this buttered surface on top on the kaya surface of 2nd layer.
c. Seal the edges and cut into 3 strips, pleat the 3 strips and seal.
For shaping of Sausage Cheese Bun
a. For a mini bun : weigh about 35g dough, roll out rectangular shape. Place cheese and sausage and roll up like a swiss roll.