My chiffon cake is by no means perfect yet, but I’m very happy with the look, this should be one of my best lately. This reminded me of a dishearten moment when my chiffon resembled the hour-glass after two consecutive baking attempts. I was unable to pinpoint to the possible hidcups during then, everything seemed to be in the correct order and nothing was amiss. I blamed it on stress.
Finally my chiffon is standing tall and proud….finally my baking ego for chiffon cake is restored…:)
Source : Passionate About Baking with slight modifications
Makes one 8″ chiffon and one mini chiffon
Gula Melaka Chiffon Cake
150g gula melaka
100ml coconut milk
few pandan leaves ( not included in original recipe, shredded and tied a knot )
6 egg yolks
4 tbsp oil ( I used olive oil )
1/4 tsp salt
140g plain flour ( I used cake flour )
1. Melt gula melaka, pandan leaves and coconut milk at low heat. Remove and pour in a mixing bowl. Leave aside to cool.
2. Use hand whisk, combine gula melaka mixture with egg yolks, oil and salt.
3. Add in flour and stir well to combine.
6 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
40g caster sugar
1. Whisk egg whites at low speed until foamy, add in cream of tartar and whisk at medium speed. Add in sugar in 3 additions and whisk at medium-high speed until stiff peak forms ( I took about 8 minutes using KA mixer ).
2. Add 1/3 of egg white mixture into the yolk mixture and foll well.
3. Add the remaining egg white mixture and gently fold in until well combine.
4. Pour into a 9″ tube pan, bake at 170 deg C for 40-45 minutes or until cooked.
( I used 8″ and a mini tube pan. The mini tube pan was baked for 20-25 minutes)
5. Invert the cake to cool, unmould when completely cooled.