This is a moist carrot cupcake topped with orange cream cheese icing. I can tell that 180daughter liked it very much as she finished up one cuppy by herself. It was so nice of Amelia of Amelia’s De-ssert to specially post for me ‘Rosette and 1M Swirl Decorating Techniques‘. Please visit her blog for the beautiful roses here.
I did not pipe any roses on today’s post ( haven’t got the nozzle yet ). but I would like to dedicate this post to Amelia for being so thoughtful : )
Didn’t make enough icing cream….one was left without it..
Source : Primrose Bakery with modification. Below ingredients for cupcakes has been halved to make 6 cuppies. Orange cream cheese icing has been adjusted to my preference.
113g grated carrots
65g raisins ( I used raisins soaked with rum )
1 large egg
48g caster sugar ( half recipe is 65g, but I’ve reduced to 48g )
60ml mazola corn oil ( I used olive oil )
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp fresh orange zest
60g plain flour ( I used cake flour )
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
dash of salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 160ºC (fan)/180ºC/350ºF/gas mark 4. Line one 6 hole muffin tins with cupcake cases or papers.
2. Combine the grated carrots and raisins in a large bowl using a wooden spoon and put to one side. Beat the eggs and sugar together for several minutes and then carefully add the oil, vanilla extract and orange zest and beat well.
3. Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda, salt, and cinnamon into a separate bowl and then slowly add these ingredients to the egg and sugar mixture, beating well after each addition. ( I used mixer in this step, do it at low speed )
4. Then pour this mixture into the bowl containing the carrots and raisins and mix by hand using a wooden spoon or spatula until they are well incorporated.
5. Spoon the mixture into the cupcakes cases, filling each case about two-thirds of the way up the paper.
6. Place the trays in the oven and bake for approx 25 mins. When cooked the cupcakes will be quite dark brown in colour and feel ‘spongy’ to the touch. Allow them to cool in their tins for 10 mins or so before placing on a wire rack to cool.
7. Once you have iced the carrot cupcakes with orange cream cheese icing, you can finish them off with a sprinkling of cinnamon. ( I omitted cinnamon, instead sprinkled orange zest )
Orange Cream Cheese Icing : 60g cream cheese, 55g icing sugar, 25g butter, zest from 1/4 orange, dash of orange colour powder
( You may find this is insufficient to pipe for 6 cupcakes, increase the amount a little more )
Method : Place all ingredients in a mixing bowl and beat well until thoroughly combined and the icing is smooth and pale.
I am submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #13: Enjoy Cupcakes! (November 2011) hosted by Min of Min’s Blog.