3.8, Happy Birthday to Melvin!
Green Tea Chiffon Cake, a recipe from my favourite cookbook ‘Okashi Sweet Treats Made With Love’. Recipe will be updated soon..need to rush out to send this cake to the birthday boy!
Updated 9th March 2012
Cake receivers said this cake was soft and delicious while green tea mousse was light and yummy. It would be better that the cake was sliced into half and spread with a thin layer of green tea mousse on it. I think they like the mousse, LOL. 成功!
Green Tea Mousse Chiffon Cake
Source : Chiffon Cake from Okashi Sweet Treats Made With Love ( with modifications )
Makes one 8″ tube pan
Green Tea Chiffon Cake
70g pastry flour ( I used cake flour )
10g green tea powder
5 egg yolks
20g caster sugar ( I omitted )
70g water ( I used fresh milk, warmed )
60g canola oil ( I used olive oil, warmed )
180g egg whites, about 5 eggs ( I used 5 egg whites )
90g caster sugar
10g rice flour or corn flour ( I used rice flour )
50g chocolate chips ( not included in original recipe )
1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees C.
2. Sift flour and green tea powder twice.
3. Combine egg yolks and sugar ( I omitted sugar ) in a bowl and mix well.
4. In a saucepan, warm up water ( or fresh milk ) and oil . Add the warmed mixture into the egg yolk mixture. Add in flour and green tea powder mixture and combine well using a hand whisk. Set aside.
5. Combine sugar and rice or corn flour. Beat egg whites until foamy. Add half of sugar mixture and continue beating for a few minutes, then add remaining sugar mixture and beat until egg whites are glossy, with stiff peaks.
6. Add one-third of egg whites into egg yolk mixture and fold in gently, then add the remaining egg whites, chocolate chips and fold in gently to combine well.
7. Pour batter into an ungreased chiffon cake tube pan. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until cooked. When cake is done, remove from oven and invert the cake, leave to cool.
Green Tea Mousse
1tsp gelatine powder
4tsp cold water
1 cup whipping cream, cold
1tbsp green tea powder
1/2 tbsp icing sugar
1. Chill the mixing bowl and beater in the freezer for 10 minutes.
2. Sprinkle gelatine powder into a bowl of cold water, let it stand for 5 minutes.
3. Place the bowl in a pot, using double-boiling method to dissolve gelatine. Let the mixture cool to room temperature.
4. Remove mixing bowl and beater from freezer, combine whipping cream, green tea powder and icing sugar and whip until slightly thickened. While beating slowly, gradually pour in the gelatine mixture into the whipped cream mixture. Then whip the cream at high speed until slightly stiff. If not use immediately, refrigerate the whipped cream for use later.
5. Assembly : Cover the chiffon cake with green tea mousse and decorate as desired.