Another great recipe from Okashi Sweet Treats Made With Love. It’s soft and fragrant.
Earl Grey Tea Cake
Source : Okashi Sweet Treats Made With Love ( with slight modifications )
Makes 2 mini loaves
150g pastry flour ( I used cake flour )
1/8tsp baking powder
100g sugar syrup, mix 50g sugar with 100g water
2tbsp lemon juice
150g unsalted butter ( I used salted butter )
150g icing sugar
1/8tsp salt ( I omitted )
5g earl grey tea dust from tea bags ( 2 packets )
15g ground almond
1 lemon, grated for zest
1tbsp fresh milk
1. Preheat oven to 170 degrees C. Line cake pan with baking sheets.
2. Sift flour and baking powder twice.
3. Mix sugar syrup with lemon juice. Set aside.
4. Beat butter, icing sugar and glucose together until light and very fluffy. Gradually add eggs and beat well, then add salt ( I omitted salt as I used salted butter ), tea dust, ground almonds, lemon zest and milk. Mix well.
5. Sift in flour mixture and fold through completely using a spatula. Surface of batter should be glossy and smooth.
6. Pour batter into prepared cake pan and make a lengthwise slit in the middle with a spatula. Bake for about 50 minutes ( I bake mine for about 40-45 minutes ) or until skewer inserted comes out clean.
Tips : by making a slit in the middle of the batter, the cake will develop a straight crack after baking.
7. When the cake is done, remove from pan and peel away baking sheets. Place cake on a wire rack set over a tray and brush with sugar and lemon syrup while still warm. Leave to cool completely before serving. If storing, wrap with cling film.