There was this flu bug going around my house and finally caught up with me. I was down with high fever, sore throat, bad cough and body aches. I have since been recovered from this contagious bug, but was still feeling lethargic until Saturday my girl asked if I can bake her classmate a birthday treat. Sometimes I need a reason to regenerate my energy in baking.
This cheesecake is really yummy! I’ve reduced the amount of condensed milk so I didn’t find it too sweet which I like. I’ve also added oreo cookies in between the two cheese layers to give the extra munch. The cheesecake is cheesy, creamy and so soft and fluffy that melts-in-your mouth. My two teenage kids love this, even my DH who’s not a big fan of cheesecake gave a thumbs up for this. A great recipe which I am sure to repeat for my girl who loves oreo cheesecake, she’s so satisfied with the cake…she has this strong craving for oreo cheesecake the other time…
Here you go, mini cheesecake for the birthday girl, HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!
Source : Lifted almost verbatim from Table for 2
Makes 12 mini cheesecakes
Mini Oreo Cheesecake ( condensed milk )
250g cream cheese, at room temperature
100g sweetened condensed milk ( original recipe 150g )
2 egg yolks
½ tsp vanilla extract ( not included in orginal recipe )
2 eggs whites
1 small pinch of cream of tartar
1 tube of Oreo ( 137g)
Additional Oreo cookies with cream, break into pieces ( not included in original recipe )
1. Preheat oven to 150 degrees C. Boil water. ( I did not boil water seperately. I placed a tray of water in the oven at the start when I preheat the oven, just make sure the water is boiled when you are done with the batter )
2. Take 6 oreo cookies from the tube, remove cream and separate them into 12 pcs. This is to use for toppings. ( do not discard the cream, just mix it with the oreo crush in step 3 )
3. Put the remaining cookies from the tube into a food processor and pulse till fine ( I used the back of the spoon to crush the cookies ).
4. Line muffin tin with 12 paper cups.
5. Place enough oreo cookies crumbs from step 3 onto paper cups and smooth out by lightly press to flatten with a teaspoon.
6. With a mixer, beat egg whites until frothy, add in cream of tartar and continue to beat until soft peak. Add in sugar and beat till stiff. Set aside, and quickly do the next step ( I have only one mixer bowl, so I remove meringues into another bowl and use back the mixer bowl without washing to do step 7 ).
7. Cream cream cheese on low speed until smooth ( a minute or 2 ), put in condensed milk, vanilla extract and egg yolks, continue to beat on low speed for another minute until well combined.
8. Fold egg whites into the cream cheese mixture.
9. Spoon some batter onto the oreo cookie base, fill this layer with pieces of oreo cookies. Spoon batter over the pieces of oreo cookies. Then, top it with a oreo cookie in the middle.
10. Bake for 20 minutes in waterbath. Leave to cool in oven, door ajar. Cool completely before chilling. Best chilled for 3 hours or more before serving ( generally, I find cheesecake taste better the next day ).