This is a perfect cake. The crunchy top compliments very well with the soft cake texture. Worth trying.
Makes one 6” round cake
巧克力大理石脆顶蛋糕 Marble Chocolate Crumb Cake
Crumb topping : 85g plain flour, 8g cocoa powder, 50g brown sugar, 50g unsalted butter ( I used salted butter )
Put sifted flour in a bowl, add in all the ingredients and mix using fingers to rub-in. It should resemble bread crumbs. Place the mixture in the fridge.
Cake : 115g caster sugar, 115g unsalted butter (softened), 2 eggs, 1tsp vanilla extract, 115g cake flour (sifted), 1-1/4tsp baking powder (sifted), 65g dark chocolate, 30ml whipping cream (A), 30ml whipping cream (B)
1. Line a square cake tin with baking sheet, preheat oven at 160 degrees C. ( I used 6” round tin )
2. In a bowl, mix whipping cream (A) with dark chocolate, sit the bowl over a pot of hot water, melt the chocolate slowly over low heat.
3. Soften butter at room temperature. Add in sugar and beat until light and pale.
4. Add in vanilla extract, add in one egg at a time, beating well after each addition.
5. Mix baking powder with cake flour. Take half portion of flour mixture, add into the egg mixture and mix to combine well with plastic spatula.
6. Add whipping cream (B) into the batter (step 5) and mix well. Add in the remaining flour mixture and mix to combine well.
7. Scoop up 1/3 of the batter (step 6) into another mixing bowl. Mix well with chocolate mixture (step 2) to make chcolate batter.
8. Pour the plain batter into the cake tin, then add in chocolate batter, lightly swirl the batter with a spatula to make marble patterns.
9. Bake at preheated oven at 160 degrees C for 15 minutes ( utill the batter surface looks dry, remember not to wait till the cake cracks, it would be too late and you will not be able to cover the top with crumbs)
10. Remove cake, evenly coat the top with crumb topping.
11. Place back into the oven, bake for another 20-25 minutes or until skewer inserts in comes out clean. ( I baked for 45 minutes in my case )