This was once a popular cake in the blogosphere. Everyone who tried, loved it. The cake is buttery, moist, soft and fluffy with a nice aroma of orange citrus.
Source : Sonia of Nasi Lemak Lover
Makes one 9 x 5″ loaf pan ( I used 7 x 4.5″ which turned out a little too high )
Sicilian Orange Cake
250g unsalted butter, softened
200g caster sugar
4 medium eggs
grated orange zest from 2 oranges
250g self raising flour ( I used 250g cake flour + 8ml scoop baking powder + 1/4 tsp salt)
120ml freshly squeezed orange juice
1/2tsp rum, optional ( I added )
1. Preheat oven to 180C. Grease and line a cake pan.
2. Using an electrical beater, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition, if necessary adding a spoonful of flour with the last egg to prevent the mixture from curdling. Beat in the orange zest and rum. Add the flour all at once and mix well, then slowly mix in the orange juice.
4. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for 45-50mins or until a skewer inserted into the center of the cake, comes out clean. If it starts to brown too quickly, cover loosely with a sheet of lightly greased aluminum foil.
5. Leave the cake, in the pan, to cool on a wire rack, then unmold and serve.