A birthday cake for my niece, Alicia, who is celebrating her birthday today! Happy Birthday, may all your wishes come true!
Source : Sponge cake adapted and modified from Bisous A Toi. Lychee whipped cream by Hundred Eighty Degrees.
Makes one 8″ round cake
Ingredients ( Lychee Sponge Cake )
145g cake flour
15g corn flour
150g salted butter
65g fresh milk
5 egg yolk, whisk gently with a fork
1-1/2 tsp lychee essence
5 egg whites,
100g caster sugar ( I used 90g )
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1. Preheat oven at 160 degrees C. Grease and line 8” round pan. Wrap the bottom of the baking pan with aluminium foil.
2. Sift cake flour and corn flour, mix well to combine. Leave aside.
3. Heat butter and milk till warm, do not let it boil. Remove from heat and add in flour mixture. Mix using wooden spatula.
4. Transfer the mixture to a bigger bowl. Add in whole egg, egg yolks and lychee essence. Mix till smooth.
5. Whisk egg white at low speed until foamy, add in cream of tartar and whisk at medium speed. Add in sugar in 3 additons and whisk till soft peak ( I whisked till stiff peak, just like the way to make chiffon cake )
6. Using rubber spatula, scrape 1/3 egg white mixture into the egg/butter mixture. Fold in gently. Scrape remaining egg white mixture and continue to fold gently until well combine.
7. Pour batter into baking pan and steam-bake for about 45 mins or until the skewer inserted comes out clean.
Ingredients ( lychee whipped cream )
2 tsp gelatine powder
8 tsp cold water
2 cups whipping cream, cold
1 tbsp icing sugar
1-1/2 tsp lychee essence
1-1/2 tsp vodka
2 drops rose pink colour
1 can of lychee – remove syrup, cut lychee into small pieces and soak with 1tbsp of vodka for an hour or overnight. Drain well before using. ( You may keep the syrup to make lychee vodka syrup )
Lychee Vodka Syrup : Mix 1tsp vodka with some lychee syrup from the can of lychee.
1. Chill mixing bowl and beaters in the freezer for 10minutes.
2. Put the cold water in a small saucepan. Sprinkle the gelatin over the surface of the water and let it stand for 5 minutes.
3. Place the saucepan over low heat and stir constantly with a wooden spoon just until the gelatin dissolves. Remove the saucepan from the heat and cool to room temperature.
4. Remove mixing bowl and beaters from freezer. In the mixing bowl, combine the whipping cream, icing sugar, rose pink colour, vodka and lychee essence and whip at high speed until slightly stiff. Fold in gelatine mixture. If not use immediately, refrigerate the whipped cream for use later.
1.Trim top off sponge cake layer to make flat surface.
2. Slice the sponge cake horizontally into two layers.
3. Place one sponge layer cut side up on a cake board and lightly brush the surface with lychee vodka syrup.
4. Spread a thin layer of lychee whipped cream over the cake layer, and arrange cut lychee over it. Spread another thin layer of lychee whipped cream over the lychee.
5. Brush the cut-side of 2nd cake layer with lychee vodka syrup, and with the brushed side down, on top of the lychee whipped cream, press gently to make level.
6. Do a crumb coat by frosting a thin layer of lychee whipped cream to seal the cake crumbs. Refrigerate the cake for 15 minutes.
7. Generously coat the chilled cake with lychee whipped cream, frosting the top of the cake first, follow by the sides.
8. Chill in the fridge for cream to set for an hour. Decorate as desired.