The recipe is ordinary but yields an extraordinary cupcake. The texture is so cottony soft and silky and you won’t stop at one cuppie. I baked these yesterday evening for our breakfast this morning, and also brought some to share with my colleagues. Everyone gave good comments. I will definitely bake this again.
↑ it rose high while baking
↓ and it shrunk while cooling
Source : with slight modifications from Sonia of Nasi Lemak Lover
(makes 13 cupcakes – vary according to case size )
Hakkaido Chiffon Cupcake
3 egg yolks
35g corn oil
70g cake flour
3 egg whites
25g caster sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Icing sugar for dusting
1 cup whipping cream
1 tsp gelatine powder
3 tbsp water
1. Preheat oven at 170 degrees C.
2. Hand whisk egg yolks and caster sugar till pale in colour.
3. Add in corn oil, milk and vanilla extract, mix well.
4. Sift in cake flour, stir to combine.
5. Beat in egg whites until frothy, gradually add in caster sugar, beat till soft peak forms.
6. Take 1/3 of egg white mixture from step 5 and mix into egg yolk mixture. Fold in the remaining egg white mixture.
7. Scoop batter into cupcake cases to 3/4 full.
8. Bake for 20=25 minutes or until cooked.
9. When cooled, piped whipping cream into cupcake and dust with icing sugar. Keep refrigerated.
- Sprinkle gelatine into the bowl containing 3 tbsp water, stir to mix. Using double-boil method, heat up the mixture until it dissolves. Set aside, leave to cool slightly.
- Beat whipping cream to mousse state ( it shouldn’t drop if you overturn the bowl ), fold in the gelatine mixture. Keep refrigerated for use.