I was one year younger yesterday and another year wiser today. A simple no frill cake I baked for myself. 121 – Happy Birthday to ME!
Recipe adapted from The Little Teochew.
(Makes one 8 inch round)
Japanese Cotton Cheesecake
140g caster sugar
6 egg whites
6 egg yolks
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
250g cream cheese
100ml fresh milk
60g cake flour
20g corn flour
1/4 tsp salt
1. Preheat oven at 160 degrees C. Fill a tray with water and place it in the oven for water bath.
2. Grease the pan and line the base and sides. Make sure the baking paper on the sides extend higher than cake tin. Wrap the cake pan with two layers of aluminium foil to prevent water seepage.
3. Melt cream cheese, butter and milk over double boiler. Cool the mixture. Fold in the flour, cornflour, salt, egg yolks and mix well. Sieve the mixture into a large mixing bowl.
4. Whisk egg whites with cream of tartar until foamy. Add in the sugar and whisk until soft peak forms.
5. Fold in egg whites to the cheese mixture. Pour into an 8 inch round springform cake pan.
6. Bake the cake in water bath for 1 hour 15 mins or until set and golden brown. Cover the top with aluminium foil from the start and remove the foil 20 mins before the end of the baking time.
7. Leave to cool in the oven with door ajar for 30 mins – 1 hour.