Bored with the usual CNY cookies? How about trying out savory cookie? This salted egg yolks cookie caught my attention when I was searching for something unique to bake for Chinese New Year. This cookie has the salted egg yolks pungent, tasty and addictive.
use fresh salted eggs….
Salted Egg Yolks Cookies
Source : adapted from Messy Witchen with slight modifications
250g plain flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tbsp milk powder
3 salted egg yolks ( I used 4 )
150g butter, at room temperature
20g shortening (I replaced with butter )
1/2 teaspoon salt ( I omitted as I used salted butter )
80g caster sugar
1 egg mixed with 1 egg yolk, beaten lightly, for egg wash
Some black sesame seeds for topping
1. Sift together flour, cornflour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and milk powder, set aside.
2. Steam salted egg yolks for about 5 minutes. Cool, mash with a fork and set aside.
3. Place butter, shortening ( if using ), salt ( if using ) and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer. Mix on medium speed until sugar is dissolved.
4. Add mashed salted egg yolks and sifted flours. Mix to get a soft and pliable dough. If dough is too soft, wrap with cling film and rest in refrigerator for 30 minutes ( my dough works out fine for me so I did not chill ).
5. Line baking paper on the baking pans. Preheat oven to 175oC.
6. Roll out dough to 5mm thickness and cut into desired shapes using dough cutters. Place on baking pans and brush with egg wash. Sprinkle with sesame seeds to decorate.
7. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove and cool completely before storing in airtight containers.
I am submitting this post to Chinese New Year Delights 2013 hosted by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover