Wishing all chinese readers 元宵节快乐!
With Zebra Cake recipe that I made long ago, I tweaked a little by changing the vanilla layer to strawberry as I wanted to try out the strawberry powder I won from Cathy Joy’s giveaway. It was so thoughtful of Cathy to pass the bottle of strawberry powder she bought from Taiwan before CNY. Thanks Cathy! Cathy has a wonderful blog, I like all of her bakes especially the patterned swiss rolls she featured in her blog. Pls drop-by her blog to peep all her lovely bakes.
I can’t name this post ‘Zebra’ as both the chocolate and strawberry mixture was jumbled up, and since it has more of a marble effect, I shall rename this as Strawberry Chocolate Marble Cake. This recipe used mainly egg whites which I cleared quite a lot of my whites stocks in the fridge.
I like the taste of the strawberry powder, and just like Cathy mentioned that it has a little salty taste from the addition of plum powder. Bebe said the cake smelled and tasted good and it looked more like a carrot cake to her 🙂
This cake texture was soft and crumbly.
Source : Own experiment tweaked from Zebra Cake posted here
(Makes one 9″ round cake)
Strawberry Chocolate Marble Cake ( Egg White )
250g cold egg whites
50ml cold water
170g caster sugar
1-1/2 tsp ovalette
2 egg yolks
200g cake flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
170g butter, melted
3 tbsp condensed milk
1-1/2 tbsp chocolate paste
3 tsp strawberry paste + 4 tsp strawberry powder, mix well
1. Line and grease 9″ round cake tin. Preheat oven to 170 degrees C.
2. Whisk (A) on high speed until thick and fluffy. Fold in (B) and mix well. Take out 1/3 of the batter and fold in (C).
3. Fold in (D) to the remaining batter.
4. Scoop 2 tbsp of strawberry batter into the center of the tin. Top with 1 tbsp chocolate batter. Do not level the batter. Repeat until batter is finished.
5. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until cooked.