Yes, this cake is baked in a cold oven. I’ve never done this before. Does this method work well? The result is amazing, the cake rose high and the aroma of the cheese permeated the house when the cake was only 15 minutes into baking.
Makes one 12 cup bundt pan
Cold Oven Cream Cheese Pound Cake
3 cups cake flour, sifted ( minus 3 tbsp )
3 tbsp cocoa powder, sifted
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
226g salted butter, softened
250g cream cheese, softened
160g caster sugar ( I will increase to 200g next time )
6 eggs, room temperature
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1. Place the oven rack to the lower-middle position. Do not preheat oven.
2. Grease a 12-cup bundt pan and dust with flour.
3. Combine flour, baking powder in a medium mixing bowl.
4. Cream butter, cream cheese and sugar in an electric mixer on medium-high speed until fluffy, beat for about 3 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl if necessary.
5. Turn the mixer on medium speed, add in the eggs, one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition. Beat in the vanilla.
6. Turn the mixer to low speed and add in the flour mixture from (3), 1/2 cup at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition. After the last addition, mix for 30 seconds on medium speed.
7. Take 1/3 of the batter and mix with cocoa powder. Pour half of the remaining plain batter into the bundt pan, pour the chocolate batter and then top with the remaining plain batter.
8. Place the cake in a cold oven ( non preheated oven ). Turn the oven to 165 degrees C and bake, without opening the oven door, until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 55-60 mins.
9. Cool the cake in pan for 15 minutes, then invert it onto rack. Cool completely before slicing and serving.