I almost ended up buying a cake off the shelf for my son’s birthday. Re is 17 today. Happy Birthday, my dear!
Whipped up this last-minute cake with a simple ganache for him.
Chocolate Cake with Ganache
Makes one 9″ square pan
200g butter, softened ( I used salted butter )
1-1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup milk
2 tsp baking soda
1 cup boiling water with instant coffee powder
380g flour ( I use cake flour )
1/2 tsp salt (I omitted)
6 tsp baking powder
80g cocoa powder ( I used valrhona cocoa powder )
1. Grease and line the bottom of a 9″ square pan. Preheat oven at 160 degrees C.
2. Sift flour, salt, baking powder and cocoa powder in bowl. Dissolve baking soda in milk.
3. Cream butter and sugar until light. Add essence and eggs, continue beating.
4. Add in the rest of the ingredients (milk, coffee liquid and flour ingredients), beat till smooth.
5. Pour batter into a 9″ square pan. Bake in a preheated oven at 160C for about 50-55 mins or until skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
6. Leave to cool on rack before decorating.
7. Prepare chocolate ganache and pour over the cake. Decorate as desired.
Chocolate Ganache : 227g semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, cut into small pieces, 180ml heavy whipping cream, 28g butter and 1tbsp brandy/rum.
Place the chopped chocolate in a heatproof bowl. Set aside. Heat the cream and butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. ( Can also heat the cream and butter in the microwave.) Bring just to a boil. Immediately pour the boiling cream over the chocolate and allow to stand, without stirring, for a few minutes. Stir gently ( as you do not want to incorporate air into the ganache) with a whisk until smooth. Add in liqueur (optional).